Welcome!

With a baby and toddler, traveling can be daunting, especially when kid-friendly doesn't turn out to be baby and toddler friendly.

We've realized what a difference that is, so we are here in hopes to share and learn about the best places to go with our babes and tots in tow.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Travel Insurance--to get or not to get???

It never fails--I schedule a trip, book a flight THEN someone gets sick. Sometimes it is me, but more often than not, it is one of the kiddos. In the past I had gotten travel insurance and then ended up just changing the tickets, paying the fees and not even bothering trying to put in a claim. This past trip, my daughter was sick with a very high fever for over a week and a half and of course, the week and a half period came right upon our departure date. I couldn't chance flying with her because A) she wasn't fever free--still at a much lower 101, but still, B) I didn't want to deal with a cranky, sleep deprived baby, C) I didn't want to get up in the air and have here have something else go wrong, and D)she might be contagious and what kind of person would I be to knowingly add a virus into the already gross recycled air. So, I filed a claim with the travel insurance company Access America, who I got through Orbitz when I book my flight. I was a little apprehensive because my daughter was actually sitting on my lap for this trip, she is 10 months, so she technically wasn't the official traveler and I didn't have a fever or illness. I also couldn't rebook my trip and just pay the change fees, because I had to go back to the drawing board on a date that would work for several parties and there was no near date in sight. I called Access America 24-hours before my departure time and let them know what had happened, they emailed the claims forms immediately, and I cancelled the flight on Orbitz, as directed. Mind you, that was on January 27. I was able to get our pediatrician to fill out a very short form, fax it along with my forms back in and about a week and a half later, I was called and informed that I would be getting a check in the mail for a full refund of my flight. THAT'S IT! I haven't gotten the check yet--I was just informed today of the refund, but I've never had anything go this smoothly and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised.

Access America
http://www.accessamerica.com/

So, my advice? Get that insurance! It's just a few dollars more, but so worth it when traveling with kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment