Welcome!

With a baby and toddler, traveling can be daunting, especially when kid-friendly doesn't turn out to be baby and toddler friendly.

We've realized what a difference that is, so we are here in hopes to share and learn about the best places to go with our babes and tots in tow.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sea-Tac Airport

Seattle has a special place in my heart for a variety of reasons. I grew up in the outskirts of this hip town, back before it was really known for grunge, Microsoft, Starbuck and such. Granted I only lived there when I was a toddler and again from elementary school and middle school, but I have great memories of the good, clean outdoor, family living. I still have many friends there, and my sister and her family live two hours away from Seattle. We actually had the Seattle area on the top of our places to live list. Uncle Sam had other ideas...

These days, Seattle is special to my heart because of Sea-Tac Airport and the kid-friendly activities and art throughout the airport.

There is a 1,400 square foot place space for kids, which is close to the central terminal, behind security. Along with soft play equipment, all in airport theme, there is a family restroom, with rocking chairs for nursing or holding your babies! All clean and all wonderful! Especially delightful for a long delay, or while waiting for a shuttle. It's been on my mind as of lately because I will be heading out that way again very soon.

http://www.portseattle.org/seatac/services/kids.shtml

Also there are art installations all over the airport, fun for both kiddos and parents. My favorite is in Concourse A, there, along the sky is Trimpin's Contraption, "On Monkeys, Matter and the King." I am actually a little confused on the actual name of the piece. I had to do a little search online and think I have it right. I noticed it when I was without kids the first time, then fast forward a few years, and my son noticed it on our trip out to Anacortes to see my sister. Below is an image. It is a multi-media kinetic sculpture. You know, one of those set ups where a ball rolls down a ramp, and lands into a windmill, then onto a bear that bicycles and moves the gears...a domino style, cause and effect experiment...you get the kind of art. Can you tell I only took art history in college and besides looking at it in various mediums, in various museums, I have no skill in the area? Anyhow, I just love this kind of art-incredibly innovative, creative and so mesmerizing.

Below are some links to some images of the exhibit.

http://blstb.msn.com/i/B7/5CBD7651D1FB58FC747D7B6D2CEC86.jpg


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/2577808064_cdeb97d277.jpg?v=0


And here is a link to other art in Sea-Tac Airport.

http://www.portseattle.org/seatac/art/ongoing.shtml

Do you know of any other airports that are kid-friendly? I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment